Why 2015 Should Be The Year You Finally…
As a strategic planning consultant, I hear a lot of reasons business owners don’t want to spend time creating plans for their companies.
The most popular excuses are “It takes too long”, ”I don’t have time” and “What good is a plan anyway? It will just sit on the shelf collecting dust”.
Have you ever heard yourself using these as reasons not to do your own strategic plan?
The fact is, truly successful companies have a plan for what they want and how they are going to get it. Planning doesn’t have to be hard and it doesn’t have to take a week to do.
Here are seven great reasons to carve out a few minutes for strategic planning right now:
- Without a strategic plan, you will have no idea whether the money you are spending on your business is going in the right places or the wrong places. When you look back on your spending, don’t you have a trail of money that you spend on things that looked like a good idea at the time, but were, in fact, just wasted? Don’t throw away any more money that could be going into your pocket!
- Planning now allows you to relax and simply execute the rest of the year. If you spend a little time now on the plan, you can ensure that you will make progress on your goals each and every day. Think of a strategic plan like a blueprint. Once you draw it up, your team can go to work building the business you envision.
- Without a plan you won’t know if you are doing the right things or the wrong things to be successful. Just as you’ve wasted money on the wrong projects, you have also wasted your valuable time as well. Put a stop to that waste this year.
- Without a plan you can never complete your work because you don’t know where the beginning and end are. With a plan, you can parse out the work for each week and everyone can go home on the weekend confident they completed the right tasks to move the company towards its goals.
- Without a plan, no one else can help you reach your goals. You are stuck doing it alone. With a plan, your team knows exactly where you are headed and what their role in getting there is.
- People who write down their goals and plans to achieve them earn, on average, three times more than others who don’t plan. I don’t know about you, but I’ll take every advantage I can get.
- Having a plan will inspire you to accomplish the things that are important to you. Whenever you feel your energy flagging, you can refer to your plan for a boost of energy. My clients spend just 6 minutes a week with their plans and typically accomplish their 10-year goals in just 3-5 years.
Creating a strategic plan doesn’t have to be hard or complicated. In fact, you can do it all on just one sheet of paper in an hour. The key components are your values, vision, long- and short-term goals, key areas of focus for the year, key metrics and an annual theme.
If you’d like to join us for a free 30-minute webinar I will show you each step of the planning process and how to summarize it all on one page.
I’d love to show you how easy it is to dramatically change your results.