How I Doubled My Business And Took 3x More Vacation – 5 Simple Tactics (Part 4)
In the first post of this series, I shared with you the five keys that changed my life from drudgery and stress to fun and engaging.
- See clearly
- Live 80/20
- Love routine
- Talk to yourself differently
- Ask for help
In Part 1 of this series, I showed how writing down your vision for the business you want to build gives you laser-like clarity in your decision-making.
In Part 2 of this series, I showed you how truly living the 80/20 rule frees up so much time to do more or to have more fun.
In Part 3 of this series, I showed you how to learn to love routine and how it will truly set you free if you embrace it.
In this article, you will learn how the “voices in your head” help or harm your productivity and profit.
Talk To Yourself Differently
I used to have a hard time changing my behaviors and developing new, better habits.
For years I struggled with being stuck in old patterns that didn’t serve me well and that kept me broke and unhappy.
I knew I need to change the way I did things, but I just couldn’t seem to stick to new behaviors for long. I felt like a total loser.
Then I learned how powerful language is, especially the language we use with ourselves. The way we see ourselves and describe ourselves, both to others and inside our own minds, determines how we behave.
I tried using affirmations but they didn’t seem believable to me. Just telling myself, “I love routines!” didn’t seem truthful. I could hear the little voice in my head calling bullshit everything I said it. I felt like Stuart Smalley on Saturday Night Live who spouted random affirmations all the time.
So, I developed a new way of looking at myself and a new way of speaking to and about myself that was believable. And it worked.
Here is my favorite phrase: “I used to ____ but now I ____”
For example, “I used to have trouble sticking to routines and I felt trapped by them but now I love how my routines free me up to be creative and in control of my time.”
I acknowledge my old way of thinking and doing and then replace it with the new desired behavior.
It’s kind of like an affirmation but it is more believable and specific.
I simply repeat this to myself at least 10 times per day, usually when I feel myself getting off track. The repetition reminds me to do the new behavior in the moment and changes my actions.
And, when actions change, so do outcomes.
How you can use this for yourself:
- Make list of three behaviors you have now that you want to change.
- Write a short sentence describing the old behavior (I used to…)
- Make a list of the new behaviors you want to have.
- Write a short sentence describing the new behavior (but now I…)
- Write each “affirmation” on a separate 3×5 card.
- Carry the cards with you and read the affirmation out loud 3x in the morning, 3x at lunch and 3x at the end of the day. You can go into the bathroom and do it quietly if you work in a busy place just so you don’t look crazy.
- Practice saying your affirmations for a week and see how your actions have changed.