How I Doubled My Business And Took 3x More Vacation – 5 Simple Tactics (Part 2)
In the first post of this series, I shared with you the five keys that changed my life from drudgery and stress to fun and engaging.
- See clearly
- Live 80/20
- Love routine
- Talk to yourself differently
- Ask for help
In Part 1 of this series, I showed how writing down your vision for the business you want to build gives you laser-like clarity in your decision-making.
In this article, I want to show you to take that decision-making to a higher level and free up hours of time in your days and weeks so you can fully live the life you most desire.
A few years ago, I read a very powerful book called 80/20 Sales and Marketing by Perry Marshall. It changed the way I look at everything.
In the book, Perry describes how 80% of your value in life comes from 20% of your activities. I’d always heard about the 80/20 rule but I never looked at it as a universal principle.
When I started to look at my time through the 80/20 lens, everything changed. I began to obsess about only doing things that were of my highest and best use and automating or outsourcing the rest.
That led me to one of the best things I’ve ever done in my company – hire a virtual assistant. I’ve worked with Kim for three years and she is the best thing in my business. She takes on the tasks that drain my energy allowing me to focus my best on the things only I can do.
Before you ask, no, I couldn’t afford it at the time. I started with about five hours a week and I focused hard on using those extra five hours to drive revenue to cover the expense. I learned quickly that I could earn 5x what it cost me for those five hours and I then began handing over more and more to Kim.
I also learned to say NO to 80 of the things that come my way so I can fully devote myself to being great at the other 20%. I turn down opportunities that aren’t in alignment with my vision.
For example, I was offered an opportunity to participate as a coach for a big corporate client. It was going to put $48,000 in my pocket for talking on the phone.
And I turned it down.
Why? Because when I’m working at my best, I can earn more than that in less time. Plus, it would have required me to be on a regular set of calls for six months. And that isn’t in alignment with my “work from anywhere in the world” vision.
Simply put, it wasn’t in my 20%.
Another thing 80/20 taught me was to commit to doing less but doing it better. I used to buy every online learning “deal” that came my way. Then it would sit in my computer memory, never used.
And as my friend Daryl says, “the book you don’t open you can’t read and the book you don’t read can’t help you.” I had so much guilt over not using those courses.
Now I only invest in training I am committed to implementing. And, guess what? I am actually getting results and a very positive return on investment from everything I buy.
How you can use this for yourself:
- Make a list of everything you do in a week. Yes, do it.
- Put an X next to anything you could train someone else to do.
- Set a budget and decide how many hours you will free up.
- Write down the specific revenue-generating activities you will do with the free time (make 100 calls, etc.). You need a plan for how to make money with the new time.
- Hire a virtual assistant (VA) to do a few of the X items on the list. You can find VA’s via many online services such as Zirtual or Upwork
- Alternative 1: make a list of household chores you do yourself and hire someone else to do them. For example, hire a housecleaner or a lawnmower. Use the time you would otherwise be cleaning or mowing to make sales.
- Alternative 2: if you aren’t worried about the cash, just hire someone to take some work off your shoulders and enjoy your life more!